Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Localise it!

I thought I'd give you an update on how my sauerkraut is progressing.

This is what it looked liked freshly chopped and salted.


The cabbage has been fermenting in a salty brine for a little over two weeks.


And here is how it looks now!

I sampled some and it tastes just like sauerkraut is supposed to! But because the cabbage is from last year's harvest and has a lower moisture content, and the temperature is quite cool in my place, the fermentation process is happening more slowly. This means the texture of the kraut is still quite crunchy, so I'm going to continue letting it ferment for another week or so.

I couldn't resist taking out two cups though, to make this delicious sauerkraut soup, which cooked the crunchy kraut to a perfect texture.

I brought the soup to my monthly locavore potluck meeting.

Oooh! Which reminds me, I've been attending once monthly potlucks for locavores! Last night was my second meeting and it was just as fun and informative as the first.

Everyone brings a dish made with as many locally sourced ingredients as possible, we enjoy a lovely meal together, drink tea and share our stories, information, goals, plans and advice for local eating.

Last night one of the attendees explained her various methods for sprouting seeds and I also learned that Bread and Sons Bakery in Ottawa, sources their ingredients locally and organically when available. I will definitely be stopping by when I am next in their neighbourhood.

6 comments:

Jerry said...

awww man, its got a big rock in it!!!!

Amber said...

I tried eating it, but I chipped my tooth, and besides, rocks don't ferment very well! ;)

Rachel said...

The spelt bread from Bread and Sons is awesome. So are their pizzas and their date squares (which I think are flourless).

Martha C said...

Hey Ambucks,
The magazine Canadian Living has an article about a family that unstuffed for a month. Is it entering mainstream consciousness?
http://www.canadianliving.com/life/green_living/living_with_no_more_stuff.php

Amber said...

Hi Martha!

That's so funny, another friend sent me this article too! Mainstream indeed.

I imagine it's harder for a family of four to unstuff, but I think it's also funny that they make such a big deal out of how hard they imagine it will be to last for a whole 30 days!

But I'm down with the overall message and glad to see it going mainstream!

Ruth Donnelly said...

I'm happy to have discovered your blog! We just bought an old crock that looks a lot like yours, and were also planning to make sauerkraut. We had the same questions about possible lead in the glaze. My husband went ahead and cut up the cabbage and started the process, but we're going to do a lead test before we eat it. Thanks for sharing your experience.