Monday, January 10, 2011

DIY Herbal Pastilles

When I read this article on herbal pastilles a couple of months ago, I just knew I had to try making my own. I have to admit to coveting the suribachi that the author uses and I was thrilled to receive my own as a Christmas gift from the ADG! It's so pretty and works amazingly well for powdering herbs. I think it's the best mortar and pestle I've ever used.

Last night I made pastilles with sage, violet and marshmallow leaves harvested from the garden and dried last summer. I used a lovely, rich, local sunflower honey and a few dropperfuls of sage tincture for the liquid. I finished the pastilles off by rolling them in cinnamon. They taste yummy and I will use them to help heal and soothe sore throats.

This is such a fun and simple project and an easy way to use herbs. I've already made anti-inflammatory pastilles and have plans to make some for coughs and digestive complaints. I think this would be a really great activity to do with kids too. And the article gives other options for powdering herbs if you don't have a mortar and pestle, or you can buy the herbs already powdered.

Hmmm...Do I detect a dry, scratchy feeling in my throat? Why yes I think I do! Excuse me while I go take an herbal pastille. :)






No comments: