Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Greetings from the Allan Gardens Conservatory!


I travelled out of town this weeken to attend the funeral of a dear family friend.  It was a bittersweet celebration of a beautiful soul who left us too early.  The ADG came with me and since we were at the mercy of the bus system,  we dedcided to spend a night in Toronto and play plant nerd tourists for a day.  Our hotel was right across the street from the magnificent Allan Gardens Conservatory, so that was our first stop after breakfast. 

I envisioned this as a kind of whet-your-appetite side trip leading up to the main event of the day, our trip to the Toronto Botanical Gardens.  Instead it turned out to be a real show stopper!  For all you plant plantophiles out there, if you're ever in T.O. this is the place to visit.  The domed palm house is just stunning.

The Toronto Botanical Gardens were quite lovely too, but they just couldn't compete with the dramatic lushness of the Conservatory.  Granted the conservatory is a climate-controlled greenhouse and the botanical gardens are all outdoors and struggling in this hot, dry summer.  I did enjoy the Herb Garden with its healing plants and the Nature's Garden.   The main building also houses a wonderful library .

Access to both these locations is free (the TBG appreciates donations) and I think they make great options for a frugal staycation.

Unfortunately I forgot to bring my camera on the trip, so I don't have photographic evidence of all the gorgeous plant life I saw.  Guess I'll just have to go back and visit these places again! 




Image Source

No comments: