Thursday, July 19, 2012

Greetings from the Fletcher Wildlife Garden!

One evening a week, most weeks, I volunteer at the Fletcher Wildlife Garden.  This shot was taken a few steps away from the Butterfly Meadow  where our crew is working hard planting many native species and nectaries, weeding out invasives like DSV and making sure newly planted sections are getting enough water in this drought.  I have to come to really enjoy and look forward to these few hours each week of physical labour, getting to know the fellow volunteers and checking in on the plants that I put in the ground, to make sure they are thriving.  I love to hear the excited gasp of someone who discovers a caterpillar on a milkweed plant, or when someone can identify a bird by its song alone.  I love the time I get to spend with the plants, working with them and observing them.  And I love the end of the evening, when we pack up our tools as the sun is setting and I walk out of the garden back to my bike, tired but feeling content, peaceful and grateful to be a small part of an important project.

If you want to follow the goings on at the garden, check out their blog and photo blog.  It's a real treasure in the heart of the city!

No comments: