Friday, May 6, 2011

Going Wild on the Radio

Finally! After days of rain, the weather cleared on Thursday. I've been chaffing at the bit to get outside for some wild greens. Yesterday was the day, and the timing couldn't have been better. I got a call from the Ceeb asking if I would be available to come into the studio and do a radio interview to talk about my upcoming weed walk, and I wanted to bring in some samples for host Alan Neal to try. This is what I harvested yesterday. From left to right: garlic mustard, stinging nettle and wintercress.


I used some of the garlic mustard and stinging nettle together with black walnuts I harvested and stored last fall, to make a wild pesto.

The rest of the nettle went into a tasty soup, which can be served hot or cold. The winter cress I briefly boiled and then sauteed with olive oil and my homemade garlic powder.

I hope Alan enjoys his samples and that I do the plants justice!


I also harvested quite a few evening primrose roots, but I didn't have time to get to them. They're still soaking in this tub, waiting for me when I get home later today.
If you want to tune in I'll be on CBC radio 1 at 4:45 trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about, and not passing out from the nerves. Radio interviews make me so nervous! I'll be drinking lots of oatstraw tea today to stay calm. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck Amber! you'll do great!

- Katherine

Susan said...

I just listened to your interview after a bit of searching. You were wonderful! Your Jane's Walk sounds like a great event. I'd love to do something similar here in Kamloops.

Amber said...

I've got two more walks planned for later this summer. I feel like there is definitely a growing interest in learning about foraging. I'm sure lots of folks in Kamloops would be into it!